In 2005, Hacienda Golf Club, a William Watson design constructed from 1920 to 1923, began an extensive restoration project under the architectural supervision of John Harbottle III. The project began with the restoration of all 18 greens complexes, replacing many of Hacienda’s “push-up” greens (some as old as 70 years) with new greens that meet current United States Golf Association specifications. The greenside bunkering was dramatically restored, with many of the bunkers enlarged and deepened, and all of them re-shaped and contoured to reflect the look of classic era designs from early 20th century golf course architecture. In addition, all of Hacienda’s fairway bunkers, of which there are but a few, were re-shaped, and somewhat relocated to reflect the greater length of shots off the tee from today’s best and strongest players. A few new fairway bunkers were added as well. The coup de grace of the entire project is the restoration of a stream that begins at the easternmost point of the course and meanders west through many holes of play. The flow of water into and through the stream reflects the natural drainage of the course in wet weather, and while restoration of the stream has significantly improved drainage in these areas, it has also restored strategic challenges to holes that are impacted by its location.