Even since Old Tom Morris won the first Open Championship in 1861, the game of golf has evolved tremendously, and so have the venues on which the game is played. Back then, Morris shot 163 over three 12-hole rounds at the Prestwick Golf Club, which to this day still holds up to the modern game.
Golf courses have not always had 18 holes. The St. Andrews Golf Links occupy a narrow strip of land along the sea, and as early as the 15th century, golfers at St. Andrews established a trench through the undulating terrain, playing to holes whose locations were dictated by topography. The course that emerged featured 11 holes, laid out end to end from the clubhouse to the far end of the property. A golfer would play the holes “out,” turned around, and then played the holes “in,” for a total of 22 holes.